Click on the image to see a larger version.
I can safely say I am at the halfway point. More importantly, I am moving at a much quicker pace because the look for this piece is definitely coming together like I expected. Even though I felt like I was on the right track early on, it is more solidified now. I can still see myself playing with line weight and color, but I consider those minor adjustments compared with the piece as a whole. My main concern was that it was either going to look too crowded and messy or too structured and boring. The goal was to be somewhere in the middle…crowded enough that the piece looked complete and just enough structure to give the piece some order.
One of the skills I’ve practicing with this piece is aesthetics. When I approach artwork that takes from real life, I tend to want to be literal. The color has to be right or the scale has to be just right. While that is important if you want people to recognize what you have drawn, the artist still has plenty of room to make adjustments in order to keep the piece looking good. I’ve made these same kind of choices when approaching the treatment of color. While I intended to only use flat colors, I didn’t want that to be a rule I had to follow. The Bean looked much better with a gradient. The Blue Angel looked much better with a dark shadow on the under side of the plane. As long as it is not distracting, I know I will continue to make these kinds of decisions.