It’s been a little quiet around here recently. I haven’t been as active on Twitter or here as I would like, but it is not because I haven’t been busy with work. Maybe I’m just in a social media funk. First, the promos I sent out at the end of August have already gained me some new work which is certainly exciting. It is hard to gauge the success of self-promotion until people begin to respond with illustration jobs…it came much earlier than I expected. The reason I’m bringing this up is because I will have to put the following piece aside for some time:
I have not blogged about this work yet, but I have been working on it on and off over the past few weeks. I decided to take another crack at a machine. This time, I decided to do something that wasn’t as literal. As you might or might not be able to tell, I’m very near completion. It took me a long time to decide on a color scheme. The problem with color schemes, at least in my experience, is that you can fill in the entire illustration and realize it is just not working. The scheme above was my third shot at making it look right. I think one thing that sold me on this look was the blue background. I had originally chosen something more cream or brown but it was looking drab. My original thought was that I needed something neutral. After abandoning that line of thinking, I realized that a brighter color made a big difference. I guess that is something to keep in mind for next time.