I just put the finishing touches on the Big Society illustration for Window Magazine. At this point, I still might have to include some final changes, but nothing major. Since the turnaround was quick, I decided to outline everything in black and then fill in the areas using the Live Paint tool in Illustrator. It was a departure from my normal style, but it was not so different that it would not be recognized as my work. As I found out, though, I should have broken up the illustration into different parts. Since I was trying to “paint” this entire illustration, Illustrator got a little sluggish at times when I was making changes. I forget sometimes that a computer can slow down once in a while. The other difference was the color I used. At first, I used very vibrant colors, but the client wanted to use much softer tones. At first, I was hesitant…mainly because I use so many strong colors in my work. After I started changing the colors, I realized that it needed the softer tones. It feels much more cohesive now…and I have another way to approach color if I am ever asked to do so.
Next, I have to find a way to put this on my portfolio. Since so many of my pieces are vertical, this horizontal work will look small in comparison. The size you see above is the largest I can use in this format. I am also planning on making some changes to the work in my portfolio. Now that I have many more landscape illustrations, I might only show those. It is funny…when I first started putting my work online, I wanted to put everything up. Now, I might have just 5 or 6 pieces. You have to be able to edit! And once that is complete, it is back to the monsters on the block. I’m hoping to complete that by the end of May…or earlier.